If you plan to go to another EU country for studies, research or vocational training, you must have full medical coverage in the host country. Make sure you fully understand your rights and the procedures you need to follow.

If you go to another EU country for your studies, research work, a work placement or vocational training, you must have comprehensive health insurance in your host country.

  • If you are not employed, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) could be an option, if you are eligible.
  • If you are employed in your host country, you will need to register to a local healthcare scheme there.
  • If you are sent for a temporary period to a university or research institution in another EU country by your university or research institute of origin, then you will remain under your home healthcare scheme for the time you are posted. Before leaving, you should apply for the EHIC card, or for an S1 form (former E106 form).

Contact your statutory health insurance service or your country’s national contact point whether your healthcare costs abroad are covered throughout your stay. If covered, the administrative procedures may be simpler if you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

You may find useful tips on healthcare abroad when moving to an EU/EEA country or Switzerland for studies here.



Useful Links

Last Update: 22 December 2021
  • GR
  • EN
  • Skip to content