a. What are the cookies?
“Cookies” are small files that include information that a website (in particular, the web server) saves at the computer/tablet/mobile phone of a user, in order to enable retrieval of this information each time the user visits the website, thus offering to the user services relevant to it. An illustrative example of such information is the preferences of the user when visiting a website, which are identified by the way that the user uses the website (for example, by electing specific “buttons”, searches, advertisements etc.).
b. Which is the applicable legislation?
Cookies are regulated by the e-privacy directive 2002/58/EC as amended by the Directive 2009/136/EC (which was incorporated to the Greek Legislation by virtue of the Law 3471/2006), as is explicitly stated at the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation), in particular at the recital no. 173.
According to the legislation in force, i.e. the Law 3471/2016 (art. 4 para. 5 of said Law as amended by art. 170 of the Law 4070/2012): “The instalment of ‘cookies’ is permitted only with the consent of the user and under the condition of previous receipt by him/her of adequate information.”
For this reason and during the first visit of the user to the website https:// pop-up windows appear in order to enable the visiting user to grant his/her consent regarding the installment of cookies that are specifically mentioned and are non-functional cookies that aim at improving the products and services that appear at the Website as …………………….., cookies used for statistical analysis regarding the number of visitors at the webpage and the number of pages viewed without direct identification of the user, advertising cookies concerning the collection of information for internet advertisement purposes, the advertisements being included in some general categories or fields of interest of the user through the examination of the websites that he/she browses and the links to other website that he uses, as well as the electronic messages from N.C.P.’s website that the user opens and the links that he uses from them by choosing advertisements only on the basis of data which do not permit the direct identification of the user.
c. Are any cookies being installed without my consent?
Specific categories of “cookies” have been assessed by Article 29 Working Party as technical – functional cookies; these cookies are necessary for connection to the website or the provision of the internet service. For these categories of cookies, the Law does not require previous consent.
These are the following (see also WP29* Opinion 4/2012):
- “Cookies” that are necessary for identification and/or retention of the content that the subscriber or user inserts during a session to a webpage for the entire duration of the particular session. (By way of example, such cookies are necessary for the completion of an electronic form by the user.)
- “Persistent cookies” fall within the same category; they are installed for the same purpose and their duration lasts for some hours.
- “Cookies” that are necessary for the authentication of the subscriber or user of services that require authentication.
- “Cookies” that are installed in order to serve the purpose of the subscriber’s or user’s security, as for example “cookies” that track repeated failed attempts to log in the account of the user at a particular webpage.
- “Cookies” with multimedia content, as flash player “cookies”, during the session at a webpage. Such cookies are for example the “cookies” installed when a video is projected at the website that the user has visited.
- “Cookies” that are necessary for the realization of the technique of load balancing at a connection to a webpage of the internet.
- “Cookies” that “remember” the choices of the subscriber or the user concerning the presentation of the webpage (for example, “cookies” concerning the choice of a language or the presentation of a webpage).
- “Cookies” installed through additional programs (plug-ins) at social networking webpages and enable sharing of the content between the authenticated members that have already logged in.
d. How can you control the cookies
You can delete all cookies that are installed at your computer, as well as to alter the settings of the various browsers in order to prevent the installation of cookies. In this case, however, you may have to adjust yourselves some preferences each time you visit a particular website, and some services may not be available.
In order to control and/or to delete the cookies according to your preferences, you can find all relevant details by consulting the following webpages:
e. How can I accept or reject the cookies at this website?
You can easily accept the cookies used by this website by choosing one of the following links:
- Accept cookies
(When choosing the link cookies an analysis depending on the cookies will be performed and different boxes for each category of cookies will appear.)
The present declaration is subject to periodic reviews and updates. In this case you can be informed by using the link ……………………. at the Organization’s website.
*WP29: It was founded by virtue of the article 29 of the Directive 95/46/EC on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data. The Working Party had advisory status to the European Commission and acted independently. It was composed by a representative of the Data Protection Authority of each Member-State and assessed issues of particular importance or issues of special interest concerning the protection of personal data and falling within to the first pillar of the EU. Assessment of issues was performed either upon request of the European Commission or upon proposal by the members of the Working Party. The Working Party issued opinions and working documents. Upon the entering of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 into force, the Working Party acts as European Data Protection Board.